1500 – 1700

1520s: The first parish of Native-Americans was built in Mexico City
and named “San José de Belén de los Naturales.” It has been described as the cradle of Christianity in the Americas.

12/9 –12/1531: Mary appears on Tepeyac, near Mexico City, to St. Juan
Diego, leaving on his tilma her image, venerated as “Our Lady of Guadalupe,” and this is the occasion for the acceptance of the Catholic faith by millions in the “new world.”

1555:  St. Joseph was declared patron of the ecclesiastical province of the Archdiocese of Mexico and its nine suffragan dioceses, which led to St. Joseph’s patronage over all of New Spain.

1768: Junipero Serra led the mission to Alta California, under the patronage of St. Joseph, and founded the first mission churches up and down the state.

1776: Franciscan Fr. Francisco Garces, celebrates the first recorded religious services in what is now Kern County.

1779: Guadalajara becomes an archdiocese, with a suffragan diocese, Sonora. This includes the Mexican States of Sonora, Sinaloa, and Upper and Lower California.

1800’s

1823 – Mexico wins its independence from Spain.

1834 –  The Catholic hierarchy of Mexico proposes the “Diocese of the Californias” which includes Upper and Lower California. Upper and Lower California were then separated from the Diocese of Sonora. Monterey becomes the See City, with Mission of Santa Barbara serving as the pro-cathedral. The first and only bishop of the new diocese is Francisco Diego y Moreno.

1840 – Diocese of Monterey was chosen as the See City, though the Mission of Santa Barbara served as the pro-cathedral. This diocese originally included all Mexican territory west of the Colorado River and west of the Gulf of California. So vast, the diocese included the modern states of California and Nevada, parts of Utah, Arizona and Colorado and the Mexican states of Baja California and Baja California del Sur. Francisco Garcia Diego Y Moreno, OFM, was the first bishop of the diocese, a suffragan of the Archdiocese of Mexico City.

1848 – After the Mexican-American War, Alta California was ceded to the United States and the Mexican government objected to an American bishop having jurisdiction over parishes in the Mexican territory of Baja California.

1850 – The Holy See splits the Diocese of Monterey. Baja California Missions became part of a Mexican diocese. The all-American Diocese of Monterey retained its name, but the Mission of Santa Barbara was displaced with the Royal Presidio Chapel of Monterey serving as the pro-Cathedral of the American diocese.

1850 – Rome erects the Diocese of Monterey to embrace the entire new State of California. The first Bishop of the Diocese is a Spanish Dominican, Rev. Joseph Sadoc Alemany. He had become a naturalized American citizen

Note: Monterey had to be considered because of its historical importance. It was the capital of Alta California under Spain and Mexico from 1777 to 1847

Note of interest: The Mexican settlement of Yerba Buena’s name was officially changed on January 30, 1947, to the town of San Francisco. A year later, in 1848, the “gold rush” began and did not end until 1859. Immigrants from every nation came by ship, or overland by wagon, horse or mule. A sleepy Mexican village of 850 persons in 1847, jumped to 21,000 in 1850, it citizens living midst many a tent, shack and shanty. By 1852 the population jumped to 36,000, setting the stage for the formation of another diocese.

Source: http://www.sfgenealogy.com/sf/history/hgpop.htm

1853 – The Diocese of Monterey is split and receives its first bishop, Most Rev. Thaddeus Amat. Monterey is transferred to the suffragen of the new diocese

7/29/1853  – The Archdiocese of San Francisco is founded and canonically erected on July 29, 1853 with its Cathedral of Saint Mary of the Assumption. The new diocese includes San Francisco, Marin and San Mateo counties. Notation: The first church of San Francisco was Mission San Francisco de Asis, which was founded on June 29, 1776.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_Catholic_Archdiocese_of_San_Francisco

1854 -Diocese of Monterey receives its first bishop, Most Rev. Thaddeus Amat.

1857 – St. Joseph’s Church in Mariposa: It is known that at least several church services were held at Mariposa, the earliest in 1857. It began as a missionary effort of a priest traveling from Indian Gulch, Coarse Gulch, Hornitos and other gold camps along the riverbanks. In camps they most likely met outdoors, in tents or possibly in a small room of a merchandise store, for the celebration of Mass. Two meetings of this type are recorded, though others are indicated by construction of a church in 1862. Operators of the Mariposa Mine, R.S. Miller and Alex Deering, donated land and construction began in 1962. The dedication of the new church was held on January 18, 1963, with Archbishop Joseph Sadoc Alemany. Source: Letter from Fresno Diocese, Archivist Adrienne Alston

1859 – Diocese of Monterey: Due to the population growth of Los Angeles, the named of the diocese was changed from Diocese of Monterey to the Diocese of Monterey-Los Angeles

1861 – The Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary, in Visalia, popularly known as the church of St. Mary’s was founded by Fr. Daniel Francis Dade in 1861. Though St. Joseph’s of Mariposa was established earlier (1857), it never became the source of other parishes. St. Mary’s is considered the “Mother Church” of all other churches under the jurisdiction of the Fresno Diocese. Fr. Dade was sent from the Monterey Diocese to Visalia where he had access to an old wooden stable to celebrate the mass. With an old mare and buggy he soon began crossing the sierras into the gold and lumber camps, tending to the infirm and the elderly, baptizing, and marrying. His travels took him through Havilah and into Tehachapi. He would continue to Tejon Ranch and the nearby Indian Reservation and a Mexican settlement (La viuda) at the Sinks of Tejon. His next stop would be at Rancho de San Emigdio tending to vaquero families in resident there before stopping in Bakersfield as he made his way north on his return to Visalia.

1868  – The Diocese of Grass Valley is erected as a suffragan of the Archdiocese of San Francisco. It is renamed the Diocese of Sacramento in 1886

1869 – The town of Bakersfield was formerly laid out, named after Colonel Thomas Baker

10/1/1871 – On this Sunday, the Rt. Reverend Bishop Thadeus Amat along with
Father Dade of Visalia with Father Durand of Los Angeles traveled by horseback to Bakersfield. They came seeking a possible site for a mission or Church. The first mass in Bakersfield was celebrated by Bishop Amat at the rear of Paul Galtes dry good store on the south side of 19th St, between Chester Ave. and K Street. Julius Chester, Paul Galtes and Alexis Godey were appointed to head the Finance Committee.

c. 1871 – The committee of Catholic pioneers began raising funds to construct the first Catholic Church in Bakersfield.

1881 -St. Francis Parish was established in Bakersfield as was St. Joachim Church in Madera, the second Catholic Church in the San Joaquin Valley.

1882 – St. Francis Church was constructed at 17th and K Streets.

1884 – The U.S. Bishops at the Third Plenary Council of Baltimore stated that it wished every child in the land to have the benefit of a Catholic School. (There was much anti-immigrant and anti-Catholic
bias in public education.)

7/7/1889 – A noon fire razed the business district of downtown Bakersfield. After this disaster the town was rebuild with brick and mortar and was a great improvement over the former buildings. From the estate of J.B. Haggin, subdivisions followed. Several thousand citizens took part in the purchase of their own lands. Source: Kern County, California History, transcribed by Sally Kaleta

1900 – 1920

1907 – St. Joseph parish was established in Bakersfield. In the early years the parishioners were lawyers, doctors, businessmen, professional people. The parishioners were principally Anglo-Americans, some Spaniards, Italian, French, Basque and a few Portuguese, with very few Mexican families.

Oct. – 1908 – The basement of St. Francis Church constructed on Truxtun Ave. was dedicated as the first site of St. Francis School.

9/12/1910 – St. Francis School opened on the north side of Truxtun Ave. between H and Eye street with an alley at the rear. It occupied a half block. Directly across the location of where the school was located, is the present day (2010) police station.

1915 After 1915 and the ousting of foreign clerics out of Mexico, the persecution was extended to all fulfilling Catholic practice. Because of persecution, Mexican immigrants into Bakersfield increased, many began arriving after 1910 and more specifically, around 1918.

4/28/1921 – Pastor of St Francis Church in Bakersfield, Rev. Philip G. Scher, later Bishop of Monterey-Fresno, founded a mission chapel/school named Our Lady of Lourdes. The chapel and school were located on the northeast corner of 14th and M Streets. This mission and school was intended for a fast growing Hispanic population escaping the revolution and persecution of Mexican Catholics. Father Scher celebrated Mass in the chapel every Sunday at nine and preached in Spanish. Originally, this mission and school were dedicated to Our Lady of Lourdes.

9/15/1921 – Our Lady of Lourdes opened its doors September 15, 1921 and classes were assumed. Two Sisters of Mercy from St. Francis School came daily to teach grades one through six. The enrollment of 130 filled the building to capacity. Initially the school was without textbooks or the funds to purchase them until Mrs. Julia Babcock intervened. Through her aid, textbooks from the Kern County Free Library were supplied. For a name change to Our Lady of Guadalupe, refer to 1925.

1922 – Monterey-Los Angeles Diocese is split and now becomes the Diocese of Monterey-Fresno. Other ecclesiastical jurisdictions are Los Angeles-San Diego, Sacramento and San Francisco. Most Rev. John J. Cantwell, Bishop of Los Angeles-San Diego, administers the affairs of the Monterey- Fresno Diocese.

1923 – Our Lady of Lourdes: Three of the classrooms of Our Lady of Lourdes were moved to the California Avenue site, a much larger location. Source: The Central California Register, 3/31/2002

2/3/1925 – The fledgling parish of Our Lady of Lourdes proved itself inadequate for the needs of a fast growing Hispanic community. Bishop MacGinley had moved three of the classrooms in 1923, to the California Avenue site. On February 3, 1925, Bishop MacGinley , aware of Hispanic devotion, created a new parish, changing the name from Our Lady of Lourdes to that of Our Lady of Guadalupe. The final papers of purchase of the California Avenue site were not received until March 23, 1925. Father Antonio C. Stuhlman: born Sept. 17, 1879, in Ebernhan, in the diocese of Limburg, near Koblenz, one of five children, two of these becoming priests. Ordained in Heuhnfeld, Germany for the congregation of the Oblates of Mary Immaculate on May 14, 1905, he was sent to Mexico on April 19, 1906. Between 1913 and 1917 a violent revolution broke out in Mexico resulting in an anticlerical regime. Formerly a priest in Tulancingo, State of Hidalgo, Father Stuhlman was ousted out of Mexico in 1915. Priests or lay Catholics caught practicing their faith were shot before a firing squad. Between 1926 and 1934, at least 40 priests were executed for refusing to leave the faithful in their charge. Fr. Stuhlman arrived in the United States at the end of 1915 and went to serve as an assistant pastor in Catasauqua, Pa. in the archdioceses of Philadelphia. Soon he was invited by Bishop Cantwell to Los Angeles to work in the midst of a large Spanish-speaking population. Bishop Aloysius J. Willinger invited the Holy Ghost Missionary Fathers to assume work in the Diocese of Fresno, specifically at Our Lady of Guadalupe Church in Bakersfield. He arrived in Bakersfield and resided at 821 M St. with his brother William Stuhlman and his sister whose name has been forgotten.

Source: an incomplete and undated newspaper article found in an Old Album. There was no Women’s Club organized at the time, but many door-to-door volunteers seeking funds needed for the fledgling church. It’s assumed that a volunteer was given the task of keeping the album. The Album was passed on to a former parishioner who showed it to me and I advised her to turn it over to the rectory of Our Lady of Guadalupe. She died and when I gleaned through the basement papers there was no trace of the yellowed and fragile newspaper clippings or the album. Source: Part of the above paragraphs was provided by the office of the Spiritan Congregation.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persecution_of_Christians_in_Mexico

2-15-1925 – Father Antonio C. Stuhlman: Fr. Stuhlman arrived in Bakersfield and was appointed to take possession as the first pastor of Our Lady of Guadalupe on February 15, 1925. During this time Mexican migrants came in droves to the Southwest and the west to escape the Mexican regimes persecution. As their numbers grew in Bakersfield, the building of their own parish was vital. Fr. Stuhlman was the perfect and popular choice for a pastor. Mexican families living downtown moved near the fledgling church forming barrios. North of the church was Alpine and successive streets north were called the Alpine Street barrio. West and south of the church existed a large barrio called El Portrero; towards east California Ave. and Cottonwood Rd. intersection lived more recent arrivals living with unpaved and dusty roads, most unnamed. There were occasional houses, interspersed with empty lots, shanties, leantos and tents. Poverty reigned as Saturday found children splashing about in a canal with lively chatter and laughter. Mothers nearby washed by beating the clothing against large rocks laid along the canal banks. These rocks were transported and placed by husbands for their wives weekly task. Wrung clothing was hung on a bared-wire fence along the canal.
Note: An irrigation canal ran parallel to California Ave. at the time.

2/15/1925 – As earlier mentioned, three of the classrooms from 14th and M Street were moved to the California Avenue site in 1923. Our Lady of Guadalupe School opened on California Avenue with six grades and 71 students, taught by four Sisters of Mercy. Sister Mary Berchmans, Superior, Sister Mary Raphael, Sister Camille and Sister de Paul were assigned to the parish. They occupied the former rectory converted into a convent while Fr. Stuhlman moved into the newly constructed rectory. After 20 years at Our Lady of Guadalupe, and before 1946, Sister Mary Berchmans was assigned to duties at Mercy Hospital.

3/23/1925 – This was the purchase date of the California Avenue property. Prior to this, the site was used as a sheep-shearing camp in the 1880’s. However, by the time the land was purchased, it had a farmhouse, a water tank, a stable and an orchard. The old house was enlarged and fixed a bit to serve as a convent for the school sisters. The water tank was covered to keep the drinking water clean. The stable was converted into a garage for the bus that carried pupils back and forth from the Santa Fe Railroad, section # 1. This area was called sección uno and held rows of small housing for Santa Fe Railroad workers and their families. The rows of housing ran parallel to Truxtun Avenue, westward of present day Mercy Hospital. Fronting the rows of small houses was a swamp with water more than ankle deep where children weaved tule into play houses. Overhead the children had the blackbirds, below the swamp rats and water snakes a-slither. The children from sección uno were picked up and bussed to Our Lady of Guadalupe School on California Ave. In the spring of 1925, the move from 14th and M Street was completed. At the California Ave. site, a third classroom was added. Until the new church was completed, one of the classrooms, with accordion doors opened wide and was still used to celebrate the mass on Holy Days of Obligation.

1925 – Our Lady of Guadalupe parish was established as the third parish in Bakersfield. The first pastor was Fr. Anthony Stuhlman, who built
the church and the rectory.

1925 – Las Posadas: This popular Mexican devotion, the enactment of Joseph and Mary and their journey to Bethlehem, seeking shelter and a place for the birth of Jesus. Undoubtedly, this devotional practice began immediately after Our Lady of Guadalupe was moved to California Avenue.

3/22/1926 – The new church was dedicated March 22, 1926. To complete the
parish plant the present rectory was added and opened about April 1, 1927. As of this date, the pastor estimated his site as worth $5,000, rectory, $14,000; convent, $2000, the school, $7,000; and church, $1 000; for a total of $44,000. Again this was a bank indebtedness of $38,000, and a loan from the pastor of about $5,000. For a parish that had shown prospects of little or no income, this investment and indebtedness, albeit necessary from a progressive viewpoint, seemed foolhardy, a sort of presumption on Divine Providence in expecting the angels to handle the parish finances and the Bishop to accept the headaches.

Source: The Bishop’s Desk (newspaper cut without date)

1926 – In the summer of this year, two new classes were added, bringing the seating capacity to 250

5/22/1926 – A decade before, the Mexican government expelled all priests from foreign countries. Being of German descent, Fr. Stuhlman. was banished from Mexico at that time. Now they began expulsion of Mexican born priests and nuns because they were considered militant Catholics, opposed to the regime. All Catholics were persecuted. Anyone caught practicing their faith were punished and many executed.

On May 22, 1926, three Carmelite sisters arrived in Bakersfield unexpectedly, asking for shelter. The sisters sought refuge in a rented house at 617 Eureka Street and at once set out to visit and catechize the local parishioners. It was at this time that a permanent catechetical center was started at Lake and M Streets in Arvin. These catechists extended their apostolate to the Tejon Indians, County hospital, and San Remigio, as well as to the neighborhood of Bakersfield and Arvin. The sisters were forced to leave for other fields when they could not make a living.

11/22/1927 – On Sunday morning Right Reverend Bishop J.B. MacGinley officiated at the solemn blessing of the three altars of the Church of Our Lady of Guadalupe, the parish church of the Mexican community, of Bakersfield. The ceremony took place at the late Mass, celebrated at ten-thirty. Reverend Father J. Ramirez, of Los Angeles, preached a sermon.

Reverend Bishop J.B. MacGinley also blessed the rectory. Present at this Sunday occasion was the pastor, Rev. Anthony C. Stuhlman, Rev. J. L. Daumas, rector of St. Francis Church, Bakersfield; Rev. John Galvin, of St. Joseph’s Church, Bakersfield, Rev. Charles Kerfs, of Barstow; Rev. Arthur Benoit, of Delano, and Very Reverend Monsignor J.J. Crowley.

Source: Central Valley Register

1928 – The first eighth grade graduating class of Our Lady of Guadalupe School were Socorro Mora, Lottie Valenzuela, Marie Mora, Eudosia “Dora” Gamino, Ralph Del Rio and Margaret Contreras.
This same year, two additional rooms were added to the three moved from their original site. Each Friday, the partitions between classrooms were taken down and the rooms converted into a Chapel where Mass was said on Sunday. Even after the church was built, the classrooms continued to serve as a hall until the parish hall was constructed in 1941

1930 – 1940

1929-1931 A clinic was conducted at the church and met with expected success. But after 1931 no records exist to attest to its work or further service. It was either re-established or revitalized in the time of Father Joseph A. Losada. Fr. Losada, a diocesan priest served at Our Lady of Guadalupe from 1939 to 1945.

5/14/1930 – Father Anthony Stuhlman honored on Silver Jubilee Anniversary. Father Stuhlman, pastor of Our Lady of Guadalupe church, was the honored guest at a parish celebration held last week in honor of his twenty-fifth anniversary in the priesthood and in anticipation of his feast day occurring on June 13th. The day began with a Solemn High Mass at 8:30 o’clock in the church, with Father Stuhlman officiating at the altar, assisted by the Rev. J.M. Phelan as deacon and Rev. William Stuhlman of Wasco, his brother, as sub-deacon. There were several speakers from the parish as well as young men and women from their respective societies, orchestra, bands and student marches and singing. The celebration went on through much of the day. Source: Old Album

1929 to 1931 – A clinic was conducted at the church and with great success. There are no records in its regard. However, it was either re-established or revitalized during the time of Fr. Losada. Note: A new clinic is built c. 1946 by Fr. Silvano Baquedano.

7/24/1932 – The interior of Guadalupe Church was badly damaged by fire. With out nearby fire hydrants, the Fire Department had to draw water from a nearby irrigation ditch to extinguish the blaze. The damage that amounted to $3,100 was covered by insurance.

1933 – Philip Scher, vicar-general under Bishop MacGinley, is consecrated Bishop of the Monterey-Fresno Diocese. At the time of his consecration, the diocese contains only four deaneries: Fresno, Bakersfield, San Luis Obispo and Monterey. This includes: 54 parishes, 25 missions, 17 parochial schools, 4 high schools, 3 hospitals and 99 priests. The Catholic population is estimated to be 79,000.

1935 – Eighth grade graduating class of Our Lady of Guadalupe School were John Soria, Albert Otero, James Calderon, Albert Valenzuela, Alejandra Cornejo, Pastora Garcia and Lucy Gamino.

Source: a photograph that appeared in the Bakersfield Californian

1937-1940 Between 1937 and December 2, 1939, while pastor at OL.G., Father Stuhlman worked on the church in Arvin, which was finally completed, paid for, blessed, and declared a parish in 1940.

12/02/1939 – Fr Anthony Stuhlman, on December 2, 1939 is called to establish a Church in Atascadero. It came to be called St. Williams. This would be Fr. Stuhlman’s last assignment before retirement. He died on May 2, 1963, at the age of 84 and is buried at the Old Mission of San Luis Obispo.

12/02/1939 – Fr. Joseph Losada, a diocesan priest, succeeds Fr A. Stuhlman as Pastor of Our Lady of Guadalupe. Fr. Losada only remained at Our Lady of Guadalupe for five years, but to his credit, much was accomplished for such a short time. The Rev. Joseph Losada became pastor Dec. 2, 1939. Together with the Bishop he worked out a plan for the financial rehabilitation of the parish. This included expansion of activities, new limits for the parish, addition of an assistant, and cash donations and short-time loans from the diocese, etc. The: plan proved highly successful. At the same time, he inaugurated works with African-American, had convert classes, introduced the Franciscan Sisters of the Atonement, etc.

Though a clinic was established from 1929 to 1931, there are no records regarding the work of the clinic after 1931. However, after the arrival of Fr. Losada, the clinic was either re-established or revitalized during his ministry.

1941 – Archivists notation regarding a possible committee. Following names taken from an old, undated, newspaper article. This old album loaned to the archivist by Carmen Garcia-Basurto about 1990. She died 05 May 2002. Advised to turn it in to the OLG Rectory, it evades discovery. The members listed were of an earlier generation compared to a list given under entry in 2/18/1947. Della Torres, Ruth Ramirez, Mrs. Emelia Lopes, Mrs. Panfila Padilla, Mrs. Casamir Anderson, Joe Lopez-Nino, Camilo Franco, P. Nieto, J.C. Rojas, J.J. Martinez

Source: Old Album with undated information

1941 – In February of 1941, the Parish Hall was built, located about 25-30 feet east of the church building. It was also known as the Recreation Hall, all purpose building and student Cafeteria. It was used for student activities, school plays, meeting hall for the future Y.M.I., Father’s Club, Mother’s Club, Guadalupanas, etc.

1942 – Rev. Joseph Losada was given an assistant in the person of Father Gilbert Meyer

1943 – In 1943, Father Losada expanded his catechetical work, began sending graduates of Our Lady of Guadalupe to St. Francis high school. Our Lady of Guadalupe schoolyard was fenced (chain-link) and dusty grounds, oiled. In token of his approval the Bishop gave the parish a donation of $27,500, which was applied against the indebtedness, leaving the place with a workable debt of $24,477. At the same time, the diocese donated $I, 750 to pay the salary of the sisters, though the parish revenue raised by the pastor had now jumped to $16,000.

1944 – Fr. Losada, familiar with social work while in Fresno, developed a Bakersfield Catholic Welfare in conjunction with the Community Chest. Eventually, the Community Chest withdrew its support because of separation of Church and State. After five years and the onset of ill health, Fr. Losada was given less responsibilities and a diminished role in church activities. This diocesan priest served O.L.G. from 1939-1945. Later, parishioners of Guadalupe were grieved by the sudden death of Father Losada in an automobile accident in Spain in 1945.

2/28/1945 – Building a New School: Fr. Silvano Baquedano arrives as pastor of Our Lady of Guadalupe Church, assisted by Fr. Gilbert Meyer and Fr. Anthony Herdegen. Fr. Baquedano received permission from the Bishop to build a new school. Though construction began late in 1945, by the Fall of 1946, four school units and a combination clinic and social center were ready for occupancy. Under Fr. Baquedano, an appropriate building was erected for clinical purposes. The clinic was maintained by the city.

1946 – The Young Men’s Institute, popularly known as the “Y.M.I,” was established in San Francisco in 1883. Fr. Baquedano and Fr. Gilbert Meyers were instrumental in bringing Y.M.I. Council #100, chartered March 17, 1946, to our Lady of Guadalupe parish during this time part of the hall was converted into a cafeteria. The old school buildings were sold and moved off, a school bus purchased, the school furnished, the church extensively repaired and improved, etc. In February of 1946, classes were moved into the new buildings, occupying six rooms. In September of 1946, the school opened with an enrollment of 365, this including kindergarten in the remaining room. Archivist’s Note: Part of the original classrooms were moved and may be seen across the present
day (2011) rectory used by the Alderette Body and Paint.

2/18/1947 – Mother’s Club of Our Lady of Guadalupe is founded

The first meeting of the organization took place in Our Lady of Guadalupe Hall. The following officers were elected President: Mrs. Eduvigis Elias; Vice President Mrs. Carmen Santibanez; Secretary Mrs. Lucy Vivian; Treasurer; Mrs. Dora Dominguez. The meeting will take place on the first and third Wednesdays of each month. The dues will be $0.50 a month A committee for the Cafeteria was formed of: Mrs. Grace Romero, Mrs. Esther Carmona, Mrs. Carmen Santibanez, Mrs. Amelia Rivera and Mrs. Claudia Urea. The following Ladies were present at the first meeting; these were the Charter Members

Hortensia Leal-Lee
Josefina Gaona
Ramona Villanueva
Nellie Albitre
Adela Torres
Angela Alderette
Carmen Mireles
Marcelina Gonzales
Gina Banducci
Trinidad Leal
Hilaria Jimenez
Amalia Lopez-Nino
Elisa Terraza
Eduvigis Elias
Carlota Carlon
Grace Romero
Lucy Vivian
Anna Bopp
Esther Carmona
Nicolasa Pena
Maria Luisa Rivera
Amelia Rivera
Felipa Rivas
Jovita Resendez
Claudia urea
Guadalupe Scaramella
Jenny Suniga
Georgia Albitre
Dora Dominguez
Petra Nieto
Virginia Mireles
Carmen Santibanez
Elvira Pena
Manuela Mendez
Genoveva Flores
Guadalupe Ramirez
Josefina Hernandez

Source: Old Album

Later known officers of the Mothers club Officers of the mothers club: Mrs. Laura Welch, Ruth Ramirez, Mrs. Harold Reynolds, Mrs. William Conway, Grace Alviso Source: undated articles in Old Album

2/10/1948 – Fr. Silvano Baquedano leaves Our Lady of Guadalupe. Our Lady Of Perpetual Help, was canonically created on February 10, 1948, and its first pastor, Father Silvano Baquedano took charge on February 20th. He converted the Garces Memorial High School “all-purpose building” into a chapel in lieu of a parish church which was still in blueprint form.

1948 – The Diocesan Fathers remained until 1948. Bishop Aloysius J. Willinger invited the Holy Ghost Missionary Fathers into the diocese.

2/20/1948 – The Holy Ghost Missionary Fathers: During Lent, three Holy Ghost Missionary priests arrive to assume care for Our Lady of Guadalupe parish. Fr. Francis P. Trotter, C.S.Sp., arrived as the new pastor, assisted by Fr. James O’Reilly, C.S.Sp. and Fr. Edmund J. Leonard, C.S.Sp. The Holy Ghost Missionary fathers remained until 1983. Fr. Trotter served at OLG from 1948-1959 before his assignment at pastor of St. Joseph’s, Bay City, Michigan. After some important assignments, Fr. Trotter became ill and entered a convalescent home where he died October 29, 1977, at the age of 71. Fr. James O’Reilly served Our Lady of Guadalupe for two terms, from February 1948 to1962 and after a stormy (gang activity) assignment at Casa Blanca, Riverside, was assigned to OLG Bakersfield from 1980-1982. Fr. O’Reilly left for the Congregation’s retirement home in Hemet where he died in 1994. Fr. Edmund J. Leonard left OLG in 1952 for an African-American parish in Louisiana as an administrator and in 1955 as its pastor where he remained for eighteen years. At the age of 71 and long suffering with back ailments, Fr. Leonard retired in Hemet. After suffering with a back ailment for much of his ministry, in 1981 Fr Leonard retired at the age of 71 in Hemet. He died in 2003.

1947 – The new clinic building established by Fr. Baquedano provided medical services to poor babies and children of the area, continuing a service that Sisters of Mercy had introduced in the 1920s. The east end of the social center was completely devoted to clinical services and maintained by the city. Milk was brought every morning for every student attending OLG School. Municipal authorities officially appointed Fr. Francis Trotter as the director of the clinic.

4/7/1948 – Donald Francis Robinson and Gay Elizabeth Turner were the first couple to be married by Fr. O’Reilly after his arrival at OLG.

1948 – Soon after the arrival of the Holy Ghost fathers arrival, Fr. Francis Trotter completed the building of Guadalupe Hall with volunteer labor and added a large guesthouse to the existing rectory

1/14/1949 – HALL FIRE: Fire destroyed the recreation hall of Our Lady of Guadalupe Church in the 600 block East California Avenue shortly after midnight this morning. The fire is estimated to have caused a loss of $10,000 in building and property damage, threatened the church, the rectory and the clinic building, all in the same block. Source Article: RAGING FLAMES DESTROY HALL OF LOCAL YOUTH

Another Source: Our Lady of Guadalupe 75th Anniversary Jubilee, 1923-1998 also claims the Hall a total loss at $10, 000.

Same Hall Fire, different articles.
1/14/1949 – Our Lady of Guadalupe Parish Hall destroyed by fire. The hall erected in 1941 was about 70 feet long, 30 feet wide and contained a fully equipped kitchen with cafeteria, facilities for sports and games and other furniture. The hall served the Y.M.I., Father’s Club, Mother’s Club and other social groups for their meetings. Occasionally, there was a school play. Fr. Trotter estimated the loss at $30,000, about half of what is covered by insurance. However, plans to rebuild commenced immediately with students themselves involved in fund raising. A temporary cafeteria has been set up in the library, located south of the sacristy. At the library, movies were shown every Tuesday to gather funds for the new cafeteria. Source Article: HALL RAZED BY FIRE IN BAKERSFIELD Another Source in Our Lady of Guadalupe 75th Anniversary Jubilee booklet, 1923-1998, also claims the Hall a total loss at $10, 000. During this year (1949), the Holy Ghost fathers were reviving an effort to draw black families to the Catholic community. This was a work originally begun during the ministry of Fr. Losada.

Source: The Bishop’s Desk article in an old Album

1950 – 1990

1950 Rev. Charles Trotter, brother to pastor Rev. Francis Trotter, was temporarily assigned to Our Lady of Guadalupe. Of the three Spiritan Trotter brothers, Fr. Charles was the last to survive. He was born June 11, 1913 in Philadelphia and he died at the age of 68 of a heart attack, on September 26, 1981 in Philadelphia.

1950 St. Jude’s Mission on Chapman Street was built in the early 1950’s.

1950 1950’S at OLG, Bakersfield: During the 1950’s additions to the rectory were made. The dining room and kitchen were enlarged with an extended hallway that included a guest’s bathroom nearing the rear exit.

Source: O.L.G. Blueprints, the only one with a date.

1951 The Fathers’ Club of Our Lady of Guadalupe Church was founded. They proceeded to built the grotto of Our lady of Guadalupe and Juan Diego, added some additions to the rectory, painted classrooms and the convent, remodeled parts of the Church
Previously mentioned, the Parish Hall was destroyed by fire in 1949. Funds from the insurance proved insufficient to rebuild. In October of 1951 a dance was held at the Melody Bowl, the first concerted effort to raise the needed $20,000 to rebuild the hall.

Source: old album

10/7/1951 Stations of the Cross installed in the Church. In 9/13/1951 Father Trotter requested permission to put up the Stations of the Cross. By 9/27/1951 permission was granted by Bishop Aloysius Willinger and the Stations of the Cross were installed on 10/7/1951

1952 Holy Spirit Mission was built by Fr. Joseph J. Cassidy in the summer of 1952 on the corner of Madison Street and Belle Terrace. The mission served as a center for Sunday Mass and CCD classes during the week. The summer school of religion for the Sunset Mayflower district opened under the direction of the Franciscan Sisters of the Atonement on June 14, 1952. In general charge was Rev. J.J. Cassidy, C.SS.P. Attendance at the end of the first two weeks revealed an enrollment of 84 children with an average of 70 in daily class attendance. In 1959, Fr. Joseph J. Cassidy was assigned to Tuscaloosa, Alabama as pastor of St. John’s which later became an annex of Holy Spirit parish where he served for 12 years. In his 60’s, he was assigned to St. Joseph’s, Herndon, Virginia. Infirm for some time, he died on March 24, 1977, Herndon, Virginia

1952 The grotto of Our Lady of Guadalupe and Juan Diego was built under the watchful eye of Fr. Edmund J. Leonard. Ray Dominguez, carpenter and mason, was chief worker on the project with the help of several others. The statue of Our Lady of Guadalupe is six feet tall, Juan Diego, three feet tall, both made of stone in Mexico.

1952 Fr. Edward Clifford: Disposed to recurring illness, Fr. Clifford was assigned again and again in search of a suitable climate. He arrived in 1951 and left the same year, replaced by Fr. T. Charles Dooley. Father Edward died at the age of 52, on July 28, 1959, in Hawthorne, N.Y.

1952 Fr. Francis Trotter founded the St Vincent de Paul Store in Bakersfield on the northwest corner of Baker and Chico street intersection. In time, this included the offices of Catholic Charities. Fr. Trotter inaugurated the Fathers Club, the Ushers Club and revived the Mother’s Club and began the Guadalupana’s or Society of Guadalupe.

1952-1955 Fr. T. Charles Dooley, after many assignments in East Africa, Fr. Dooley returned to work in black parishes of the United States before being assigned to Our Lady of Guadalupe, Bakersfield. In 1955 he was assigned to several black parishes before his death at the age of 60, on March 9, 1963, and burial at Ferndale.

5/1/1953, Catechists of Archconfraternity of Holy Ghost met in the rectory at 10 a.m. to make final arrangements of opening catechetical center at 828 S. Haley (& Clarendon), with classes to begin Saturday. Mr. Nieto offered La Alegria to use as a center for one year.

5/3/1953 Grotto of Our Lady of Guadalupe dedicated at 7:30 p.m. Bishop McGinley and Fr. Francis Trotter led the ceremony and Msgr. Stuhlmann, founding pastor of OLG, preached. The grotto and the statues brought from Mexico had been planned by Fr. Edmund J. Leonard and were then said to be the only such ones in the United States. 1000 attended the ceremony. Ray Dominguez, who worked on the grotto, unveiled the statue of Our Lady Guadalupe, and crowned by Mercy Hernandez, a student of OLG school. Mrs. Refugio Rojas unveiled the statue of Juan Diego. The girls’ choir of the school provided music under the direction of the Mercy Sisters. A commitment was made for four families daily to gather at the shrine and pray the rosary. (Fr. Anthony Stuhlman)

2-{22-25}, 1954 Provincial Visitation: “…other houses of the western section of the province were visited by the delegate of the Provincials a few months ago, the community at Bakersfield was not included, since I Superior, Father Francis Trotter, was himself the Visitor. Since the last visitation in 1951 a few changes in personnel; have taken place. Father E.J. Leonard has been assigned else where, and Fathers C. Dooley and Cassidy have been added. The latter (Cassidy) was appointed here as an extra man at the request of the Bishop, mainly to care for the colored people in this section of the city. Father Cassidy conducts Catechism classes for the colored, and has baptized thirteen converts so far. Sometime in the future a separate center of the colored work will be required, and calls for the full time service of at least one Father. Also, since the last visit a large extension has been added to the rectory building, two more bedrooms, and a large spacious community room. The religious exercises are held regularly, and the religious discipline of the community leaves nothing to be desired. Father McGuigan visits his confreres here frequently and maintains good contact with his religious family. The parish and community at Our Lady of Guadalupe is a model of priestly and religious life and the confreres deserve great credit for the zeal they have shown for the souls confided to them. Note: Thus we find the letter concluded without a signature. It’s composed on paper with an OLG Bakersfield letterhead.

6-7-1954 Letter of June 7, 1954 from Fr. Joseph Cassidy to his Father Provincial. Quotes from the letter:

Father Cassidy thanking his Superior “…for your effective efforts in setting up our mission for the colored and for your confidence in my ability to handle the job.” Papers are signed by the Bishop “…for the purchase of our property – 4 ½ acres at Madison and Belle Terrace. The total price is $6,000, payable at $60 per month. A Sewer Bond, originally for $2193.35, is payable at $219.35 per year for ten years ($2033.19 remains to be paid on the Bond). This means I must look for about $80 a month for the next ten years. My ambition now is to build a combination chapel-hall at the first opportunity. “…we have completed a census of non-Catholic children in preparation for a Summer School in Religion the Sisters of Atonement will conduct for four weeks in June and July. About fifty children are listed and I am hoping the first week will see us double that number. Some of our Saturday Catechism children may be ready for First Communion after summer school (they are not ready now); I am only sorry we can’t offer them a Catholic School in the fall.”

7-22-1954 Letter of July 22, 1954 from Fr. Joseph Cassidy to his Father Provincial. Fr. Cassidy sends good news to be published in the “Mission News” of his Congregation.

“The Summer School closed last Friday and the Sisters have turned in a very encouraging report. A total of 98 children were enrolled, some just for a day or two. During the last weeks the parents of 26 children returned, signed statements that they wanted their children to be Catholics, that they would send them to Catechism next year to prepare for Baptism, and they would encourage them to say their prayers, and go to Mass each Sunday. When we started the work among the colored there were 16 Catholics; last year 13 were received into the Church; if these 26 are finally baptized it will not be long, by such doubling of numbers, until we reach the 14,000 Negroes of Bakersfield. The Bishop has approved our making a start on the Catholic Center – a combination chapel-social hall; but today’s building costs and local building codes make it impossible to attempt such a building on a shoe-string…I expect to start on my vacation next week and maybe I’ll find some rich benefactor back east. Do you think the Mission Procurator might be interested in helping such a promising mission?”

Oct. 1955 to 1957 Fr. Joseph Desmond Boyd: A native of Belfast, Ireland, was ordained on August 3, 1929. His first assignment was in Puerto Rico where he ministered for 25 years before being sent to the Mexican parish of Our Lady of Guadalupe, Bakersfield. So popular was this priest, the populace of Puerto Rico clamored for his return. Though none of his doing, within two years Fr. Boyd was sent back to his beloved Island. Fr. Boyd died at the age of 85, after spending 52 years of his 54 years as a priest, in Puerto Rico. His death came on October 3, 1984 and was buried at Arecibo, Puerto Rico.

1956 Fr. Francis Trotter was ordained a priest in 1931. In 1956 there was a drive with parishioners donating jewelry and rings to make a chalice for Fr. Francis Trotter’s silver jubilee as a priest. During his last illness he returned the chalice to Guadalupe church and asked that it be used in the service of the people of Bakersfield. Pastor of OLG from 1948 to 1959, he died October 29 1977, at the age of 71.

7/30/1957 Letter from Provincial Francis H. McGlynn to Fr. Joseph J. Cassidy:

“I am very glad to know that ground has been broken for the new chapel, and I am sure it will be a great incentive to your people to work harder when they see this first unit of the new plant that is to be erected for their convenience. I am send the sketch on to Father Lauritis, hoping he will find space for it in some forthcoming issue of the Paraclete.”

Source: A letter from his Provincial, Francis H. McGlynn, C.S.Sp., to Fr. Joseph J. Cassidy, thanking Fr. Cassidy for the article in the Bakersfield Californian with the architect’s sketch of the new chapel of the Mission of the Holy Spirit.

1957-1964 Fr. Hugo Kuster , native of Huckeswagen, Rhineland, was first sent To Nigeria and then the Second World War broke out. With all German nationals, he was interred there. Later he was sent to Jamaica (West Indies) and interred there. In 1947 he was released and allowed to enter the United States. He served at several locations in the eastern United States before being assigned to Our Lady of Guadalupe, Bakersfield, replacing Fr. Joseph D. Boyd. Fr. Kuster. After 1964, Fr. Kuster had several other assignments. Sometime after 1972 father had a second heart attack that forced him to retire in Bakersfield. When the parish was returned to the diocese in 1983, he retired to St. John’s in Tucson. The same year, September 2, 1983, a third heart attack took his life and he was interred in the Congregation’s cemetery at Hemet, CA.

7/7/1958 Fr. Eugene McGuigan: Born February 6, 1886 in Philadelphia, was one the first to enter the Congregation of the Spiritans. Ordained on October 28, 1912, he was appointed as a teacher at St Joseph’s House and fulfilled this function for a decade before going into pastoral ministry. In 1948, Fr. McGuigan accompanied Father Trotter, O’Reilly and Leonard as part of that religious community assigned to Bakersfield. However, Fr. McGuigan was assigned as resident chaplain at Mercy Hospital. He was given room 500 on the 5th floor of Mercy Hospital. Fr. McGuigan was tall, a big man, with a booming voice and a hearty laughter that filled a room. He was loved by all and affectionately called “Father Mac” by nurse and doctors, by all who knew him. He remained the hospital chaplain at Mercy Hospital for the remainder of his life. Father Mac died at the age of 72, on July 7, 1958 and was buried at Hemet, California

4/20/1958 Auxiliary Bishop Harry Clinch blessed the new Holy Spirit Mission Church at 720 East Belle Terrace and Madison. Msgr. Leddy, pastor of St. Francis, celebrated solemn Mass at Holy Spirit, assisted by pastors of Perpetual Help and St. Joseph. OLG pastor Fr. Trotter preached. Garces Girls’ Glee Club sang. Bishop Willinger had helped with the funding. Altar constructed by Haskell Displays and finished by Russell Goddard, donated by Msgr. Leddy. Crucifix and stations from St. Thomas in Arvin.
The Holy Spirit Mission was chiefly the project of Fr. Joseph J. Cassidy and many parishioners.

1958-1967 Fr. Roy Burkhart: Father Burkhart’s first assignment was in Puerto Rico and later to different parishes in the Eastern United States. He arrived at Our Lady of Guadalupe, Bakersfield, in 1958 replacing the late Fr. Eugene McGuigan as chaplain at Mercy Hospital where he remained until his retirement in 1999. He remained in various rest homes in Bakersfield until his passing on July 30, 2004. He was buried at the Congregation’s cemetery at Hemet, CA.

1959-1966 Father George C. Reardon, C.S.Sp.: The Holy Ghost pastor, Father Francis P Trotter, C.S.Sp. is reassigned, replaced as pastor by Father George C. Reardon, C.S.Sp. Fr. Reardon served as pastor from 1959-1966. His re-assignment took him to work among the Indians in Arequipa, Peru, four year later establishing a similar mission in Mexico until illness forced him to leave. In 1973, he became pastor of St. John’s in Tucson Arizona. Three years later he was chosen to be provincial superior of his province. Ailing for some time he entered a hospital for surgery and died of a blood infection in San Antonio, Texas on August 15, 1980.

1964 In 1964, Our Lady of Guadalupe School opened with reduced enrollment of 384. This was most likely due in part to the discontinuance of the kindergarten.

1966-1968 Father Kenneth J. Milford, C.S.Sp.: Fr. Milford’s first assignment began in 1938, laboring among the poor in Puerto Rico. It was a ministry of 28 years where much was accomplished. Fr. Milford arrived as pastor of Our Lady of Guadalupe Bakersfield in 1966.
About 2 year later, In the months of 1968, Fr. Milford was assigned as pastor of St. Catherine’s Parish in Riverside, California. With a preference for more demanding work then required of him in the United States, he was assigned to work among the Tanlajas Indians of Mexico. In 1975 he arrived in California as the director of vocations in Bakersfield and Riverside until 1978. Fr. Milford retired in 1978 but remained as an associate pastor in San Jacinto until 1998 when he entered the retirement home in Hemet. He passed away on July 16, 1999 following a priestly ministry of 52 years.

1967-1976 Father Daniel DeDominicis: Fr. Dan as he was called, was ordained on June 3, 1949. Known for his gift of teaching, he was assigned to several teaching posts. In 1958 he was brought to California to teach science in Notre Dame High School in Riverside for ten years before arriving at Our Lady of Guadalupe as pastor in 1968, to replace Fr. Kenneth Milford. In 1976 he was assigned as pastor of Our Lady of the Valley parish in Hemet. Diagnosed with diabetes in 1988, he was sent to St. John the Evangelist parish in Arizona until 1991 when he entered the retirement home in his hometown of Clairton, Near Pittsburgh, PA. Fr. Dan died June 24, 1995 and was interred in his hometown of St. Claire’s Cemetery in Clairton, near Pittsburgh, PA.

8/23/1967 Approval date of plans for attached garage to the rectory of Our Lady of Guadalupe Church.

1967 The Diocese of Fresno is established, separate from that of Monterey. The Sister Servants of the Blessed Sacrament came to serve at Our Lady of Guadalupe School.

1967 The Diocese of Fresno is established, separated from the Diocese of
Monterey. It is a suffragan diocese of the Archdiocese of Los Angeles and includes the Southern San Joaquin Valley, portions of the Sierra Nevada and some areas of the more easterly valleys. It’s comprised of the following counties: Fresno, Inyo, Kern, Kings, Madera, Mariposa, and Tulare. Brief list of Bishops who served at the Fresno Diocese:

Bishop Timothy Manning (16 Oct 1967 – 26 May 1969)
Bishop Hugh Aloysius Donahoe (22 Aug. 1969 – 1 July 1980)
Bishop Jośe de Jesús Madera Uribe (1 July 1980 – 28 May 1991
Bishop John Thomas Steinbock (15 Oct. 1991 – 5 Dec. 2010)
Monsignor Myron Cotta (7 Dec. 2010 – 1 Feb. 2012)
Bishop Armando X. Ochoa (1 Feb. 2012 – present)

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_Catholic_Diocese_of_Fresno

1968 By 1968, the enrollment at Our Lady of Guadalupe School was down to 194 students in an effort to keep class size down according to diocesan regulations.

1971-1973 Fr. Joseph D. Boyd: After an absence of 15 years, returns to Our Lady of Guadalupe, Bakersfield, as an assistant pastor.

8/3/1973 Approval date for additions to be made to OLG rectory. A kitchen with enlarged dining room and a small bathroom in the hall leading to the south exit.

Source: Approval date on Our Lady of Guadalupe blueprints for mentioned additions

1975 Most Rev. Roger M. Mahony is appointed Auxiliary Bishop of the Diocese of Fresno

1976-1980 Fr. Stanislaus Roman: Stanislaus Roman, a native of Bradford, England and a British soldier was discharged in 1947 and entered the congregation of Spiritans. He made his profession at Cellule, France on September 8, 1949 and was ordained in Mansfield. England, on July 11, 1954. After assignments in Nigeria he was assigned at Hemet, California. After a brief stay his next assignment took him to Lake Charles, Louisiana and in 1971 he became director of young Spiritans in Denver, Colorado and Houston, Texas. In 1975 Fr. Roman was assigned to Mexico to learn Spanish. The following year (1976) he arrived at Our Lady of Guadalupe, Bakersfield where he remained until 1980.

1980-1982 Fr. James O’Reilly: After an absence of 18 years, Fr. O’Reilly returned to Our Lady of Guadalupe, Bakersfield, as pastor. Beset by illness he retired (1982) and left for the Order’s retirement home in Hemet where he died July 11, 1994 at the age of 78.

1982-1983 Fr. Arnulfo Gradillas: Fr. Gradillas arrives at OLG Bakersfield as an administrator with the aid of three Irish priests. Because of the shortage of Spiritan priests, the parish was thereafter staffed by diocesan priests. The Spiritan fathers were in ministry at Our Lady of Guadalupe parish for 35 years, from 1948 to 1983.

1983 Father Alfonso Simon arrives as pastor, serving from 1983-1991). Fr. Ignacio Pelayo, of Mexico, served from 1987-1988, replaced by Fr. Lucas Espericueta, of Mexico (1988-1989).

1985 Sisters of Mercy left at the end of the school year in 1985. From 1985-1987, the school staff was made up of lay teachers, with Mrs. Shirley Cervantes as principal. Fr. Eric Swearingen became principal from 1987 to 1989.

1989 Three nuns, Sisters of the Blessed Sacraments arrived at Our Lady of Guadalupe during June of 1989. Sister Berth Meza, S.J.S., arrived to replace Father Swearingen as principal. Sister Berth was followed by Sister Maria Eugenia Vasquez, SJS IN 1993.

1991-1992 Rev. Msgr John Esquivel was pastor at Our Lady of Guadalupe Church

1992 The Oblates of St. Joseph were invited and assumed their ministry of Our Lady of Guadalupe parish.

1992 Rev. Philip Massetti, O.S.J., served as pastor of Our Lady of Guadalupe Church

1996 Rev. James M. Catalano O.S.J., served as pastor of Our Lady of Guadalupe Church

2000 -present

12/23/2000 – Las Posadas: The first generation of immigrants who came to Bakers field before 1925 retained a preference for Spanish. They allowed their children to speak English at school, but at home they were not to speak “la lengua de perro” or the dog’s tongue. By 1935 many of the children were bilingual. In the 40’s a law was passed prohibiting Spanish in school. They grew up familiar with Spanish but had a preference for English.

These were Hispanics who graduated in the 1950’s. These former Guadalupe and Garces High graduates began attending St. Joseph’s, and in later years many switched to St. Francis Church. Sometime after the 1950’s, without the strong influence of their elders, the English-speaking majority dismissed the devotional practice of Las Posadas. Today, in 2010, descendants of the original immigrant families of Our Lady of Guadalupe, about two dozen at most, attend mass at Our Lady of Guadalupe church. However, Juan and his wife, Adelina Cervantes, recent arrivals from a Santa Paula parish, introduced the practice of Las Posadas, sometime before 2000. By then Our Lady of Guadalupe Church experienced a new and steady influx of Spanish speaking people, from Mexico and other South American countries. At Our Lady of Guadalupe Church we find that Las Posadas are once again given favor.

Source: The Bakersfield Californian 12/23/2000 (Religion section)

Circa 2001 – Fr. James Catalano bought Holy Family medal to bury on that property he desired for a larger church without knowing who owned it. A Real Estate person contacted Mr. Berchtold who said he wasn’t interested in selling. When he heard it was OLG, however, he donated 12 acres. In earlier years Mr. Berchtold had sold four adjacent acres to a non-Catholic church. Fr. James then sought to buy the adjacent 4-5 acres, but owners wished to sell all 9 and were asking $25,000 per acre. Fr. James, with God’s favor, purchased the nine acres for $20,000 per acre.

Source: Fr. Larry OSJ. www.osjoseph.org

1/28/2002 Yesterday and Tomorrow Building on Faith Campaign: Originally called the Capital Campaign, the diocese changed it to Yesterday and Tomorrow Building on Faith Campaign. This campaign began with pledges from the Our Lady of Guadalupe parishioners. This was an initial attempt to raise $5 million to complete the first phase, which includes the church and parish hall. The cost is estimated at $15 million for the construction of a new church, parish hall, rectory, convent, church offices, CCD center, youth center and cafeteria/multipurpose hall. Recently Bishop John T. Steinbock blessed the land on Brundage Lane (West of the Oswell intersection) and accepted the deed to the land from the Berchtolds as Fr. James Catalano, OSJ, looked on. The new property provides a more central location for the church within the parish. The new church is planned to hold 1,200 and will reflect a Spanish Mission design.

Source: Central California Register, 3/31/2002.

5/2/2010, Sunday Mass outdoors on Brundage property and consecration of building project to the patronage of St. Joseph. Fr. Larry Toschi, O.S.J. celebrated with Fr. Chirayath, Msgrs. Harrison and Belluomini. Oblates Brothers present, Sister Servants of the Blessed Sacrament, Knights of Columbus, youth groups and many parishioners helping under the coordination of Javier Navarro and Javier Rivera. The Parish Vision Statement Team and the Master Plan Team were introduced for the first time. Source: Our Lady of Guadalupe Parish Bulletin

5/2/2010 Our Lady of Guadalupe Parish Vision Statement: In the spirit of the Holy Family of Nazareth, the mission of Our Lady of Guadalupe parish is to be a humble, bilingual, pro-life, pro-family Catholic community, joyfully announcing the Gospel. We welcome all to religious education in the fullness of the Truth entrusted to the Church. We invite all to celebrate with reverence and unity the presence of Christ in the rites of our Liturgy. We call all members to the humble obedience of faith and to sacrificial service for the sake of building up the Body of Christ.

8-15-2011 Our Lady of Guadalupe, C-Patroness of the Unborn: The name of Our Lady of Guadalupe Church is changed Our Lady of Guadalupe, Co-Patroness of the Unborn. The name change took effect on 15 August 2011, on the feast day, or Solemnity of The Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary.

08/19/2011 Blessing of new CCD Classrooms by Msgr. Craig Harrison, Dean: CC classrooms were recently built next to the Social Hall. They consist of three classrooms and bathrooms. The construction was done in the simplest and most economical manner possible, in order to fill a most basic and immediate need; to provide space for religious education classes for children, youth and adults. Through the generous contribution of so many local contractors, we were able to construct the whole building for only $107,00. Of that amount a single anonymous donor from outside of the parish provided $85,000. The remainder came from our modest parish savings, and not from the building fund for the (Brundage Ln.) new property. The rooms will be filled immediately.

8/19/2011 Brundage Ground-Breaking: Ground-breaking and preparation for major construction on Brundage Lane site are still being made. If fund-raising enables us to afford it. With Phase 1 construction there will be one small conference room, a medium classroom and a larger room. We are pleased to announce that ground breaking for Phase 1 construction will take place on Brundage, Sunday, October 23 at 1:45 p.m. Prior to that all are invited to attend a bilingual Mass at Brundage and Oswell on Sunday, September 11, at 1:45 p.m. to meet and pray for the success of Phase 1 construction.

9/11/2011 Mass At The New Property: Mass at 1:45 p.m.: All are invited to attend to pray for the approaching day of ground-breaking for Phase 1 construction. This will take place on October 23, 2011. The plan is to do all the street off-site work for the entire frontage, prepare one third of the property for construction and 250 parking spaces, build a 3000 square foot parish center (with bathrooms, small office and conference room, one classroom, and one slightly larger meeting room), and build a 9100 square foot covered outdoor assembly area with a platform for Mass and enclosed storage for 1000 chairs. Finances are still a crucial factor in determining the scope of Phase one to be achieved this year.

9/11/2011 Sanctuary Restoration: Asking for monetary donation for the completion of the restoration of the altars, statues, and sanctuary of the church on California Avenue.

9/11/2011 Natural Family Planning: Congratulations to Francisco & Elva Arroyo, Juan Pablo & Michelle Ayala, Manuel and Betty Flores, Ricardo & Delfina Garcia, Jose & Lucia Martinez. Agustin & Maria Eugenia Ruiz and Samuel & Lety Mora who were certified by the Couple-to-Couple League to teach Natural Family Planning. They joined Gabriel & Beatriz Garcia and Javier & Juanita Rivera who have been doing this wonderful ministry in our parish for many years. The parish of Our Lady of Guadalupe, Co-Patroness of the Unborn is blessed to be the only parish in the Kern-Inyo Deanery to have certified NFP teachers. Every two months our parish begins a new NFP course in English and one in Spanish for a total of twelve courses per year. Eventually our teaching couples will also be offering to teach courses in the other parishes. This is one of the greatest helps for freeing our marriages from the destructive sins of contraception and sterilization, so to strengthen families and to rebuild a pro-life society for our children.

9/25/2011 Introduction and Interpretation of the New English translation of the Mass announced at Our Lady of Guadalupe Church: The Church is preparing for the implementation with updated adaptations for clarity and a deeper under-standing the celebration of the Sacred Liturgy. The new Missals are due to arrive in the Fall of 2011 “Pope John Paul II announced a revised version of the Missale Romanum during the Jubilee Year 2000. Among other things, the revised edition of the Missale Romanum contains prayers for the observances of recently canonized saints, additional prefaces for the Eucharistic Prayers, additional Votive Masses and Masses and Prayers for Various Needs and Occasions, and some updated and revised rubrics (instructions) for the celebration of the Mass. The English translation of the Roman Missal will also include updated translations of existing prayers, including some of the well-known responses and acclamations of the people.”

http://old.usccb.org/romanmissal/

10/18, 2011 Brother Sergio Perez, O.S.J., to be ordained a deacon on 10/18/2011 by the Most Rev. Richard Garcia, Bishop of the Monterey Diocese. The celebration will be held at St. Joachim’s Church, in Madera, California. Long a member of Our Lady of Guadalupe parish and after attending RCIA Classes, Sergio decided to study for the priesthood.

10/23/2011 OLG Church Bakersfield had the groundbreaking Mass on Brundage Ln., the site of the future Our Lady Guadalupe Church. On that day the parish was greeted with a large temporary tent-like structure with a capacity of 1000 seats. Filled to capacity, some stood under the sun for the celebration of Mass. In the procession was Msgr. Myron J, Cotta, Diocesan Administrator, Rev. John Warburton, O.S.J., Pastor Larry Toschi, O.S.J., Parochial Vicars, Rev. Chummar Chirayath, O.S.J.,Shaji Athipozhi, O.S.J., Ex-Pastors Rev. Philip Massetti, O.S.J., Rev. James Catalano, O.S.J., Rev. Carlos Esquivel, O.S.J., and Deacon, Rev. Brother Sergio Perez. This signals the commencement of Phase 1 of the scheduled construction

11-27-2011 The Implementation of the Third Edition of the Roman Missal: New English for the new translations to reflect the Latin text more closely.

6-29-2012 History made at Our Lady of Guadalupe of 601 East California Ave., Bakersfield, California, 93307: There was a Mass of Ordination where the son of Alan and Mary Shearer, John Dermot Shearer, OSJ, was ordained a Deacon. At the same celebration the son of Victoriano and Maria Cecilia Perez, Sergio Emmanuel Perez, OSJ, was ordained into the priesthood. Though the founding date of the parish is 1925, Sergio Emmanuel Perez is the first priest produced by the parish. Present were Bishop Armando Xavier Ochoa, D.D. from Fresno who presided over the celebration and spoke of God’s call for more priests. In attendance were Very Rev. John C. Warburton, OSJ, Provincial of the Oblates of St. Joseph and Fr. Matthew Spencer, OSJ, as Master of Ceremonies. Also present were an army of priests in white from the parish, local parishes and others throughout California. It was a beautiful ceremony and celebration that ended with a hearty applause. Over 500 filled the pews while others lined the walls from the rear doors part-way towards the altar. The church filled to capacity, many were forced outside to view the proceedings through a monitor. Father Sergio was sent to St. Joachim’s Catholic Church in Madera where he will remain for about a year.

10-12-2012 Our Lady of Guadalupe Co-patroness of the Unborn. Blessing of Pavilion and Phase One Construction at 4600 E. Brundage Ln. on October 12, 2012. A bilingual Mass was held, celebrated by Bishop Armando X. Ochoa, D.D.

Cocelebrants:

Monsignor Craig Harrison, Dean of the Kern/Inyo Deanery, St. Francis

Church, Fr. Larry Toschi, O.S.J., Pastor of Our Lady of Guadalupe Church.

Monsignor Michael Braun, Pastor of Our Lady of Perpetual Help.

Monsignor Ronald Swett, Pastor of St Philip’s.

Monsignor Stephen Frost, Pastor of Christ the King.

Father Chummar Chirayath, O.S.J., Parochial Vicar of Our Lady of Guadalupe

Father Stephen Peterson, O.S.J., Parochial Vicar of Our Lady of Guadalupe

Father Carlos Esquivel, O.S.J., former Pastor of Our Lady of Guadalupe

Father Sergio Pérez, O.S.J., Former Parishioner of Our Lady of Guadalupe

Also present were other clergy of the Diocese of Fresno and Oblates of St. Joseph, including Deacon, Brother John Shearer, O.S.J.
Master of Ceremony, brother Joseph Starkweather, O.S.J.

The Pavilion, designed for 1000 persons was filled to capacity with at least another 300 along both sides of the Pavilion and many to the rear or entry to the structure.

10/14/2012 The First Sunday when two celebrations of the Mass were begun at the Pavilion.